Thursday, September 23, 2010

Blog 5 - Cicero---Let's Not Forget Him!

Hello Classmates,
For my Web board this week, I would like to share some thoughts on Cicero. Indeed, as indicated in my last posting, we can see that he built on some of Aristotle’s ideas: he did more with pathos, and he formally introduced the idea of building a preemptive rebuttal right into the text/speech (addressing counter point). But, we also see some dissention from Aristotle’s views, too: particularly Cicero provides a slightly different take on the idea of the traits of an orator (eloquence + subject-matter knowledge---an expansion of and increased weight on---the orator’s ethos---something perhaps more similar to Isocrates and Plato). And, in his text De Oratore, we even see some Sophist ideas remerging, as rhetoric’s use in judicial power begins to parallel rhetoric’s use in legislature. I suppose it was only a matter of time when we would see hybrid of the non-Sophist and Sophist theories. So, using a contemporary label, generally used in music numbers, the best way I can think of to describe Cicero’s approach to rhetoric is as “mash up” of ideas.
I did a search for Cicero and found some really thought-provoking quotes of his that I wanted to share because, though I am not sure he is the originator of such ideas, there are some modern complements to those that can be traced back to at least him:
For example, “Thus in the beginning the world was so made that certain signs come before certain events. Cicero De Divinatione. i. 118.”  To me, this speaks to the idea of cause and effect---which is fundamental to science and the idea of process.
“You, boy, who owe everything to a name. Cicero Philippic 13.11.” Though I am not sure of the context, to me, this suggests the idea of nepotism and reminds me of the notion of “old money”.
Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system. Cicero Pro Murena 36.” There’s a lot that can be said about this quote, but, to me, in short, is casts a shadow on our ability objective and equitable in all situations. As humans, we have emotions, and sometimes we let those guide us over reason----even those with power are subject to them. And, in the process, we might not see the big picture or what’s good for the many.
So, why did I share these?  I guess, I wish only to make the following point in support of Herrick’s (2005)’s position (check out the bottom of page 93):  When we hear “philosophy” or “rhetoric”, many of us think of Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle. But, we mustn’t forget their Roman counterpart, Cicero. Though perhaps not as well as known as the names of the others, he did offer up some ideas and pearls of wisdom that still resonate today.
Best,
Cris

4 comments:

  1. Cris,

    I liked this quote of yours: "I guess, I wish only to make the following point in support of Herrick’s (2005)’s position (check out the bottom of page 93): When we hear “philosophy” or “rhetoric”, many of us think of Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle. But, we mustn’t forget their Roman counterpart, Cicero. Though perhaps not as well as known as the names of the others, he did offer up some ideas and pearls of wisdom that still resonate today."

    It resounded with me. Cicero did make an impact on modern Rhetoric, but perhaps is remembered best for his gruesome death. I'm sure he would prefer to be remembered for his speech since Rhetoric was his life's work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cris...

    I am glad you looked at Cicero and his contribution to rhetoric. I agree that the ‘refiners’ of the process are often left in obscurity of as lesser known’s and that is not fair. What I see in the quotes you provided is a resolution to combine the classical elements of rhetoric into short simple statements. Look at the first one “You, boy, who owe everything to a name”. We can see the ethos/pathos being exerted in the words ‘You and boy’. These establish the authority of the speaker. We feel Cicero’s authority as he puts the spotlight on a victim of his rhetoric. In his next words, “who owe everything to a name” is an example of logos and pathos. Logos is established as a statement of fact that the ‘boy’ is the recipient of an unspoken benefit or wealth based on a position or title that he has inherited. Pathos emanates through the same words, assisted by the word ‘boy’. Here we feel the author’s condescension or jealousy as he seems scornful of the benefit to one undeserving. I believe that we can benefit ourselves by studying those who have refined rhetoric through a process of a ‘mash-up’ of styles or elements. Those such as Cicero have contributed to how we use rhetoric today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one: “Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system. Cicero Pro Murena 36.”

    Makes me think of our current situation. Seems like a lot of pundits and political folks dislike the Tea Party. I'm not going to get into their politics or mine, but I will wonder (on your blog) how much of the resistance is due to their sudden, mob-like existence (mob-like in that a group of people came together suddenly under one cause almost out of nowhere). Perhaps Cicero might shed some light on the results of our mid-term elections in 2010? Haha.

    On a more academic note, what really interests me about the rhetors we've been reading is their close ties to philosophy. I have a friend I regularly share our readings with who is a grad student in philosophy, and he's always read other works by the same folks. Seems like classical rhetoric and philosophy go hand in hand (so far). I wonder if that trend will continue?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting quotations here. So, are you going to use Cicero in your first major assignment for the course?

    ReplyDelete